Pronunciation: (em-ploi'munt), [key]
1. an act or instance of employing someone or something.
2. the state of being employed; employ; service: to begin or terminate employment.
3. an occupation by which a person earns a living; work; business.
4. the total number of people gainfully employed or working.
5. an activity or the like that occupies a person's time: She found knitting a comforting employment for her idle hours.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.