Pronunciation: (äng'kôr, -kōr, än'-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/encore.html on line 71 [key]
—interj., n., v., -cored, -cor•ing.
again; once more (used by an audience in calling for an additional number or piece).
1. a demand, as by applause, for a repetition of a song, act, etc., or for a performance of a number or piece additional to those on a program, or for a reappearance by the performers, as at the end of a concert, recital, etc.
2. the performance or reappearance in response to such a demand: He chose a Chopin nocturne for his encore.
3. any repeated or additional performance or appearance, as a rerun of a telecast or a rematch in sports.
1. to call for a repetition of.
2. to call for an encore from (a performer).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.