Pronunciation: (en'u-mē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/enemy.html on line 73 [key]
—n., pl. -mies,
1. a person who feels hatred for, fosters harmful designs against, or engages in antagonistic activities against another; an adversary or opponent.
2. an armed foe; an opposing military force: The army attacked the enemy at dawn.
3. a hostile nation or state.
4. a citizen of such a state.
5. enemies,persons, nations, etc., that are hostile to one another: Let's make up and stop being enemies.
6. something harmful or prejudical: His unbridled ambition is his worst enemy.
7. the Enemy,the Devil; Satan.
1. belonging to a hostile power or to any of its nationals: enemy property.
2. Obs.inimical; ill-disposed.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.