Pronunciation: (en-vī'run-munt, -vī'urn-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/environment.html on line 81 [key]
1. the aggregate of surrounding things, conditions, or influences; surroundings; milieu.
2. Ecol.the air, water, minerals, organisms, and all other external factors surrounding and affecting a given organism at any time.
3. the social and cultural forces that shape the life of a person or a population.
4. Computers.the hardware or software configuration, or the mode of operation, of a computer system: In a time-sharing environment, transactions are processed as they occur.
5. an indoor or outdoor setting that is characterized by the presence of environmental art that is itself designed to be site-specific.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.