Pronunciation: (ûr'min), [key]
—n., pl. -mines, (esp. collectively) -mine,
1. an Old World weasel, Mustela erminea, having in its winter color phase a white coat with black at the tip of the tail.Cf. stoat.
2. any of various weasels having a white winter coat.
3. the lustrous, white, winter fur of the ermine, often having fur from the animal's black tail tip inserted at intervals for contrast.
4. the rank, position, or status of a king, peer, or judge, esp. one in certain European countries who wears, or formerly wore, a robe trimmed with ermine, as on official or state occasions.
5. Heraldry.a fur, consisting of a conventional representation of tails, often with a pattern of dots, sable on argent.
made of, covered, or adorned with ermine.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.