Pronunciation: (e-skOO'dō; Port. es-kOO'doo; Sp. es-kOO'&thslash;ô), [key]
—pl. -dosPronunciation: (-dōz; Port. -doos; Sp. -&thslash;ôs). [key]
1. a coin and monetary unit of Portugal and Cape Verde, equal to 100 centavos.
2. a former coin and monetary unit of Angola, Guinea-Bissau, and Mozambique.
3. a former paper money and monetary unit of Chile, equal to 100 condors or 1000 pesos, replaced by the new peso in 1975.
4. any of various former gold coins of Spain, Spanish America, and Portugal.
5. a former silver coin of Spain, discontinued in 1868.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.