—n.es'tu-mit, -māt"), [key]
—v., -mat•ed, -mat•ing,
1. to form an approximate judgment or opinion regarding the worth, amount, size, weight, etc., of; calculate approximately: to estimate the cost of a college education.
2. to form an opinion of; judge.
to make an estimate.
1. an approximate judgment or calculation, as of the value, amount, time, size, or weight of something.
2. a judgment or opinion, as of the qualities of a person or thing.
3. a statement of the approximate charge for work to be done, submitted by a person or business firm ready to undertake the work.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.