Pronunciation: (ech), [key]
1. to cut, bite, or corrode with an acid or the like; engrave with an acid or the like, as to form a design in furrows that when charged with ink will give an impression on paper.
2. to produce (a design, image, etc.) by this method, as on copper or glass.
3. to outline clearly or sharply; delineate, as a person's features or character.
4. to fix permanently in or implant firmly on the mind; root in the memory: Our last conversation is etched in my memory.
5. Geol.to cut (a feature) into the surface of the earth by means of erosion: A deep canyon was etched into the land by the river's rushing waters.
to practice the art of etching.
Print.an acid used for etching.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.