Pronunciation: (ēv'ning), [key]
1. the latter part of the day and early part of the night.
2. the period from sunset to bedtime: He spent the evenings reading.
3. Chiefly Midland and Southern U.S.the time between noon and sunset, including the afternoon and twilight.
4. any concluding or declining period: the evening of life.
5. an evening's reception or entertainment: Their evenings at home were attended by the socially prominent.
1. of or pertaining to evening: The evening sky shone with stars.
2. occurring or seen in the evening: the evening mist.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.