—v.ek'sīz, ik-sīz'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/excise.html on line 79 [key]
—n., v., -cised, -cising.
1. an internal tax or duty on certain commodities, as liquor or tobacco, levied on their manufacture, sale, or consumption within the country.
2. a tax levied for a license to carry on certain employments, pursue certain sports, etc.
3. Brit.the branch of the civil service that collects excise taxes.
to impose an excise on.
Pronunciation: (ik-sīz'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/excise.html on line 115 [key]
—v.t., -cised, -cis•ing.
1. to expunge, as a passage or sentence, from a text.
2. to cut out or off, as a tumor.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.