Pronunciation: (ig-zem'plu-rē, eg'zum-pler"ē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/exemplary.html on line 81 [key]
1. worthy of imitation; commendable: exemplary conduct.
2. serving as a warning: an exemplary penalty.
3. serving as an illustration or specimen; illustrative; typical: The sentences read are exemplary of the style of the essay as a whole.
4. serving as a model or pattern: The authoritative and exemplary text of the work is in the Bodleian Library at Oxford University.
5. of, pertaining to, or composed of exempla: the exemplary literature of the medieval period.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.