Pronunciation: (ig-zist'), [key]
1. to have actual being; be: The world exists, whether you like it or not.
2. to have life or animation; live.
3. to continue to be or live: Belief in magic still exists.
4. to have being in a specified place or under certain conditions; be found; occur: Hunger exists in many parts of the world.
5. to achieve the basic needs of existence, as food and shelter: He's not living, he's merely existing.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.