Pronunciation: (ek"spek-tā'shun), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/expectation.html on line 77 [key]
1. the act or the state of expecting: to wait in expectation.
2. the act or state of looking forward or anticipating.
3. an expectant mental attitude: a high pitch of expectation.
4. something expected; a thing looked forward to.
5. Often, expectations. a prospect of future good or profit: to have great expectations.
6. the degree of probability that something will occur: There is little expectation that he will come.
7. Statistics.See mathematical expectation.
8. the state of being expected: a large sum of money in expectation.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.