Pronunciation: (ik-stûr'nl), [key]
1. of or pertaining to the outside or outer part; outer: an external surface.
2. Med.to be applied to the outside of a body, as a remedy: for external use only.
3. situated or being outside something; acting or coming from without: external influences.
4. pertaining to the outward or visible appearance or show: external acts of worship.
5. pertaining to or concerned with foreign countries: external affairs; external commerce.
6. Zool., Anat.on the side farthest from the body, the median line, or the center of a radially symmetrical form.
7. Metaphys.of or pertaining to the world of things, considered as independent of the perceiving mind: external world.
1. the outside; outer surface; exterior.
2. something that is external.
3. externals,external features, circumstances, etc.; outward appearance; superficialities.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.