Pronunciation: (fā-tal'i-tē, fu-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/fatality.html on line 73 [key]
1. a disaster resulting in death.
2. a death resulting from such an occurrence: a rise in highway fatalities.
3. the quality of causing death or disaster; a fatal influence; deadliness.
4. predetermined liability to disaster, misfortune, etc.: a fatality for saying the wrong thing.
5. the quality of being predetermined by or subject to fate: There is a fatality in human affairs that leads to destruction.
6. the fate or destiny of a person or thing: Death is the ultimate fatality of all human beings.
7. a fixed, unalterably predetermined course of things; inevitability: to resign oneself to the fatality of life.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.