Pronunciation: (fē'dur), [key]
1. a person or thing that supplies food or feeds something.
2. a bin or boxlike device from which farm animals may eat, esp. such a device designed to allow a number of chickens to feed simultaneously or to release a specific amount of feed at regular intervals.
3. a person or thing that takes food or nourishment.
4. a livestock animal that is fed an enriched diet to fatten it for market. Cf. stocker (def. 2).
5. a person or device that feeds a machine, printing press, etc.
6. a tributary stream.
7. bird feeder.
8. See feeder line.
9. See feeder road.
10. Also,feed. Elect.a conductor, or group of conductors, connecting primary equipment in an electric power system.
11. Brit.a baby's bib.
12. Theat. Slang.See straight man.
1. being, functioning as, or serving as a feeder.
2. pertaining to livestock to be fattened for market.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.