Pronunciation: (fē'lur), [key]
1. a person or thing that feels.
2. a proposal, remark, hint, etc., designed to bring out the opinions or purposes of others: Interested in an accord, both labor and management were putting out feelers.
3. Zool.an organ of touch, as an antenna or a tentacle.
4. Also called feel'er gauge". Engin.a gauge having several blades of known thickness, used for measuring clearances.
5. Naut.a device for indicating that the lead of a mechanical sounding device has come to the bottom.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.