Pronunciation: (fē'māl), [key]
1. a person bearing two X chromosomes in the cell nuclei and normally having a vagina, a uterus and ovaries, and developing at puberty a relatively rounded body and enlarged breasts, and retaining a beardless face; a girl or woman.
2. an organism of the sex or sexual phase that normally produces egg cells.
3. Bot.a pistillate plant.
1. of, pertaining to, or being a female animal or plant.
2. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a female person; feminine: female suffrage; female charm.
3. composed of females: a female readership.
a. designating or pertaining to a plant or its reproductive structure that produces or contains elements requiring fertilization.
b. (of seed plants) pistillate.
5. Mach.being or having a recessed part into which a corresponding part fits: a female plug. Cf. male (def. 5).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.