Pronunciation: (fer'ē), [key]
—n., pl. -ries,
—v., -ried, -ry•ing.
1. a commercial service with terminals and boats for transporting persons, automobiles, etc., across a river or other comparatively small body of water.
2. a ferryboat.
3. a service for flying airplanes over a particular route, esp. the delivery of airplanes to an overseas purchaser or base of operations.
4. the legal right to ferry passengers, cargo, etc., and to charge for the service.
1. to carry or convey back and forth over a fixed route in a boat or plane.
2. to fly (an airplane) over a particular route, esp. for delivery.
to go in a ferry.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.