Pronunciation: (fe-stOOn'), [key]
1. a string or chain of flowers, foliage, ribbon, etc., suspended in a curve between two points.
2. a decorative representation of this, as in architectural work or on pottery.
3. a fabric suspended, draped, and bound at intervals to form graceful loops or scalloped folds.
4. Dentistry.the garlandlike area of the gums surrounding the necks of the teeth.
1. to adorn with or as with festoons: to festoon a hall.
2. to form into festoons: to festoon flowers and leaves.
3. Dentistry.to reproduce natural gum patterns around the teeth or a denture.
4. to connect by festoons.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.