Pronunciation: (fē'vur), [key]
1. an abnormal condition of the body, characterized by undue rise in temperature, quickening of the pulse, and disturbance of various body functions.
2. an abnormally high body temperature.
3. the number of degrees of such a temperature above the normal.
4. any of a group of diseases in which high temperature is a prominent symptom: scarlet fever.
5. intense nervous excitement: The audience was in a fever of anticipation.
to affect with or as with fever: The excitement fevered him.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.