Pronunciation: (fig'yur-u-tiv), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/figurative.html on line 79 [key]
1. of the nature of or involving a figure of speech, esp. a metaphor; metaphorical; not literal: a figurative expression.
2. metaphorically so called: His remark was a figurative boomerang.
3. abounding in or fond of figures of speech: Elizabethan poetry is highly figurative.
4. representing by means of a figure or likeness, as in drawing or sculpture.
5. representing by a figure or emblem; emblematic.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.