Pronunciation: (fīur'mun), [key]
1. a person employed to extinguish or prevent fires; firefighter.
2. a person employed to tend fires; stoker.
a. a person employed to fire and lubricate a steam locomotive.
b. a person employed to assist the engineer of a diesel or electric locomotive.
4. U.S. Navy.an enlisted person assigned to the care and operation of a ship's machinery.
5. Brit. Mining.See fire boss.
6. Baseball.See relief pitcher.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.