Pronunciation: (fish'tāl"), [key]
1. to swerve or skid from side to side, as the rear end of a car.
2. to slow an airplane by causing its tail to move rapidly from side to side.
1. such a maneuver.
2. a gas burner having two jets crossing each other so as to produce a flame resembling a fish's tail.
3. a device having a long, narrow slot at the top, placed over a gas jet, as of a Bunsen burner, to give a thin, fanlike flame.
4. Jewelry.a setting consisting of four prominent triangular corner prongs to hold the stone.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.