Pronunciation: (fikst), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/fixed.html on line 75 [key]
1. fastened, attached, or placed so as to be firm and not readily movable; firmly implanted; stationary; rigid.
2. rendered stable or permanent, as color.
3. set or intent upon something; steadily directed: a fixed stare.
4. definitely and permanently placed: a fixed buoy; a fixed line of defense.
5. not fluctuating or varying; definite: a fixed purpose.
6. supplied with or having enough of something necessary or wanted, as money.
7. coming each year on the same calendar date: Christmas is a fixed holiday, but Easter is not.
8. put in order.
9. Informal.arranged in advance privately or dishonestly: a fixed horse race.
a. (of an element) taken into a compound from its free state.
b. nonvolatile, or not easily volatilized: a fixed oil.
11. Math.(of a point) mapped to itself by a given function. Cf. Brouwer fixed-point theorem.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.