Pronunciation: (flā'vur), [key]
1. taste, esp. the distinctive taste of something as it is experienced in the mouth.
2. a substance or extract that provides a particular taste; flavoring.
3. the characteristic quality of a thing: He captured the flavor of the experience in his book.
4. a particular quality noticeable in a thing: language with a strong nautical flavor.
5. Physics.any of the six labels given to the distinct kinds of quark: up, down, strange, charm, bottom, and top.
6. Archaic.smell, odor, or aroma.
to give flavor to (something). Also, esp. Brit.,flavour.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.