Pronunciation: (flûrt), [key]
1. to court triflingly or act amorously without serious intentions; play at love; coquet.
2. to trifle or toy, as with an idea: She flirted with the notion of buying a sports car.
3. to move with a jerk or jerks; dart about: butterflies flirting from flower to flower.
1. to give a sudden or brisk motion to; wave smartly, as a fan.
2. to throw or propel with a toss or jerk; fling suddenly.
1. Also,flirt'er.a person who is given to flirting.
2. a quick throw or toss; sudden jerk or darting motion.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.