Pronunciation: (flôr'uns, flor'-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/florence.html on line 73 [key]
1. Italian, Firenze. a city in central Italy, on the Arno River: capital of the former grand duchy of Tuscany. 464,425.
2. a city in NW Alabama, on the Tennessee River. 37,029.
3. a city in E South Carolina. 30,062.
4. a town in N Kentucky. 15,586.
5. a female given name: from a Latin word meaning “flowery.”
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.