Pronunciation: (fō"lē-ā'shun), [key]
1. the act or process of putting forth leaves.
2. the state of being in leaf.
a. the arrangement of leaves within a bud.
b. the arrangement of leaves on a plant.
4. leaves or foliage.
5. Print.the consecutive numbering of the folios or leaves, as distinguished from pages, of a manuscript or book.
6. the total number of such leaves.
7. Petrol.a form of lamination produced in rocks by metamorphism.
8. ornamentation with foliage, or an arrangement of foliage.
a. ornamentation with foils.
b. ornamentation with representations of foliage.
10. formation into thin sheets.
11. the application of foil to glass to make a mirror.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.