Pronunciation: (fond), [key]
—adj., - er, -est.
1. having a liking or affection for (usually fol. by of): to be fond of animals.
2. loving; affectionate: to give someone a fond look.
3. excessively tender or overindulgent; doting: a fond parent.
4. cherished with strong or unreasoning feeling: to nourish fond hopes of becoming president.
5. Archaic.foolish or silly.
6. Archaic.foolishly credulous or trusting.
Pronunciation: (fond; Fr. fôn), [key]
—pl. fonds (fondz; Fr. fôn ).
1. a background or groundwork, esp. of lace.
2. Obs.fund; stock.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.