Pronunciation: (fôr'hand", fōr'-), [key]
1. (in tennis, squash, etc.) of, pertaining to, or noting a stroke made from the same side of the body as that of the hand holding the racket, paddle, etc. Cf. backhand (def. 5).
2. being in front or ahead.
3. foremost or leading.
4. done beforehand; given or made in advance, as a payment.
1. (in tennis, squash, etc.) a forehand stroke.
2. the part of a horse that is in front of the rider.
3. Cards.the player on the dealer's left, in a game with three players. Cf. endhand, middlehand.
4. Archaic.a superior or advantageous position.
(in tennis, squash, etc.) with a forehand stroke.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.