Pronunciation: (fôr'in, for'-), [key]
1. of, pertaining to, or derived from another country or nation; not native: foreign cars.
2. of or pertaining to contact or dealings with other countries; connected with foreign affairs.
3. external to one's own country or nation: a foreign country.
4. carried on abroad, or with other countries: foreign trade.
5. belonging to or coming from another district, province, etc.
6. located outside a specific district, province, etc.
a. of or pertaining to law outside of local jurisdiction.
b. of or pertaining to another jurisdiction, as of another nation or state.
8. belonging to or proceeding from other persons or things: a statement supported by foreign testimony.
9. not belonging to the place or body where found: foreign matter in a chemical mixture.
10. not related to or connected with the thing under consideration: foreign to our discussion.
11. alien in character; irrelevant or inappropriate; remote.
12. strange or unfamiliar.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.