Pronunciation: (fur-giv'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/forgive.html on line 77 [key]
—v., -gave, -giv•en, -giv•ing.
1. to grant pardon for or remission of (an offense, debt, etc.); absolve.
2. to give up all claim on account of; remit (a debt, obligation, etc.).
3. to grant pardon to (a person).
4. to cease to feel resentment against: to forgive one's enemies.
5. to cancel an indebtedness or liability of: to forgive the interest owed on a loan.
to pardon an offense or an offender.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.