Pronunciation: (fôr-mal'i-tē), [key]
1. condition or quality of being formal; accordance with required or traditional rules, procedures, etc.; conventionality.
2. rigorously methodical character.
3. strict adherence to established rules and procedures; rigidity.
4. observance of form or ceremony.
5. marked or excessive ceremoniousness.
6. an established order or method of proceeding: the formalities of judicial process.
7. a formal act or observance.
8. something done merely or mainly for form's sake; a requirement of custom or etiquette: the formality of a thank-you note.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.