Pronunciation: (fôr"tu-fi-kā'shun), [key]
1. the act of fortifying or strengthening.
2. something that fortifies or protects.
3. the art or science of constructing defensive military works.
4. Often, fortifications. military works constructed for the purpose of strengthening a position; a fort: Supposedly impregnable, the fortifications were quickly overrun.
5. a strengthening or improvement, as by addition of or intensification with another ingredient: the fortification of milk with vitamin D; the fortification of wine with alcohol.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.