Pronunciation: (foun'tn), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/fountain.html on line 77 [key]
1. a spring or source of water; the source or head of a stream.
2. the source or origin of anything.
3. a jet or stream of water (or other liquid) made by mechanical means to spout or rise from an opening or structure, as to afford water for use, to cool the air, or to serve for ornament.
4. a structure for discharging such a jet or a number of jets, often an elaborate or artistic work with basins, sculptures, etc.
5. See drinking fountain.
6. See soda fountain.
7. a reservoir for a liquid to be supplied gradually or continuously, as in a fountain pen.
8. Heraldry.a roundel barry-wavy, argent and azure.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.