—v.frag'munt, -ment, frag-ment'), [key]
1. a part broken off or detached: scattered fragments of the broken vase.
2. an isolated, unfinished, or incomplete part: She played a fragment of her latest composition.
3. an odd piece, bit, or scrap.
to collapse or break into fragments; disintegrate: The chair fragmented under his weight.
1. to break (something) into pieces or fragments; cause to disintegrate: Outside influences soon fragmented the Mayan culture.
2. to divide into fragments; disunify.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.