Pronunciation: (frāz), [key]
1. Fort.a defense consisting of pointed stakes projecting from the ramparts in a horizontal or an inclined position.
2. a ruff worn around the neck in the 16th century.
3. a woman's embroidered scarf worn with ends crossed on the chest and pinned with a brooch or the like, popular in the early 19th century.
4. Horol.a cutting tool for correcting inaccuracies in the teeth of a timepiece wheel.
Pronunciation: (frez), [key]
—pl. fraisesPronunciation: (frez). [key] French.
2. See crème de fraise.
3. a brandy distilled from strawberries.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.