1. water that does not contain a large amount of salt.
2. inland water, as ponds, lakes, or streams, that is not salt.
Pronunciation: (fresh'wô"tur, -wot"ur), [key]
1. of or living in water that is fresh or not salt: freshwater fish.
2. accustomed to fresh water only, and not to the sea: a freshwater sailor.
3. small, provincial, or little known: a freshwater college.
4. Obs.untrained or of little experience. Also,fresh'-wa"ter.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.