1. front (def. 9).
2. the visible forefront in any action, activity, or field: TV reporters are constantly involved in the front line of events.
3. Football.See front four.
4. Basketball.See front court (def. 2b).
Pronunciation: (frunt'līn"), [key]
1. located or designed to be used at a military front line: a front-line ambulance helicopter.
2. of, pertaining to, or involving the forefront in any action, activity, or field: a front-line TV reporter.
3. highly experienced or proficient in the performance of one's duties.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.