Pronunciation: (fyOO-toor'i-tē, -tyoor'-, -choor'-, -chûr'-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/futurity.html on line 73 [key]
1. future time: Such discussion is better left to futurity.
2. future generations; posterity: What will futurity say about this?
3. the afterlife: the promise of eternal rest in futurity.
4. a future state or condition; a future event, possibility, or prospect: We are concerned about the futurity of unsubsidized opera. His tactfulness remains more of a futurity than a reality.
5. the quality of being future: the futurity of the end of the world.
6. Also called futu'rity race". Horse Racing.a race, usually for two-year-olds, in which the entrants are selected long before the race is run, sometimes before the birth of the foal.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.