Pronunciation: (gal'up), [key]
1. to ride a horse at a gallop; ride at full speed: They galloped off to meet their friends.
2. to run rapidly by leaps, as a horse; go at a gallop.
3. to go fast, race, or hurry, as a person or time.
to cause (a horse or other animal) to gallop.
1. a fast gait of the horse or other quadruped in which, in the course of each stride, all four feet are off the ground at once.
2. a run or ride at this gait.
3. a rapid rate of going.
4. a period of going rapidly.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.