Pronunciation: (gāp, gap), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/gape.html on line 73 [key]
—v., gaped, gap•ing,
1. to stare with open mouth, as in wonder.
2. to open the mouth wide involuntarily, as the result of hunger, sleepiness, or absorbed attention.
3. to open as a gap; split or become open wide.
1. a wide opening; gap; breach.
2. an act or instance of gaping.
3. a stare, as in astonishment or with the mouth wide open.
4. a yawn.
5. Zool.the width of the open mouth.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.