Pronunciation: ( jel'u-tn), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/gelatin.html on line 73 [key]
1. a nearly transparent, faintly yellow, odorless, and almost tasteless glutinous substance obtained by boiling in water the ligaments, bones, skin, etc., of animals, and forming the basis of jellies, glues, and the like.
2. any of various similar substances, as vegetable gelatin.
3. a preparation or product in which such an animal or vegetable substance is the essential constituent.
4. an edible jelly made of this substance.
5. Also called gel'atin slide". Theat.a thin sheet made of translucent gelatin colored with an aniline dye, placed over stage lights, and used as a color medium in obtaining lighting effects. Also,gel'a•tine.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.