Pronunciation: ( jen'ur-u-līz"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/generalize.html on line 79 [key]
—v., -ized, -iz•ing.
1. to infer (a general principle, trend, etc.) from particular facts, statistics, or the like.
2. to infer or form (a general principle, opinion, conclusion, etc.) from only a few facts, examples, or the like.
3. to give a general rather than a specific or special character or form to.
4. to make general; bring into general use or knowledge.
1. to form general principles, opinions, etc.
2. to deal, think, or speak in generalities.
3. to make general inferences. Also, esp. Brit.,gen'er•al•ise".
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.