Pronunciation: ( ju-ner'ik), [key]
1. of, applicable to, or referring to all the members of a genus, class, group, or kind; general.
2. of, pertaining to, or noting a genus, esp. in biology.
3. (of a word) applicable or referring to both men and women: a generic pronoun.
4. not protected by trademark registration: “Cola” and “shuttle” are generic terms.
1. a generic term.
2. any product, as a type of food, drug, or cosmetic commonly marketed under a brand name, that is sold in a package without a brand.
3. a wine made from two or more varieties of grapes, with no one grape constituting more than half the product (distinguished from varietal).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.