Pronunciation: ( jen'i-tiv), [key] Gram.
1. (in certain inflected languages) noting a case of nouns, pronouns, or adjectives, used primarily to express possession, measure, or origin: as John's hat, week's vacation, duty's call.
2. noting an affix or other element characteristic of this case, or a word containing such an element.
3. similar to such a case form in function or meaning.
1. the genitive case.
2. a word in the genitive case.
3. a construction noting this case or the relationship usually expressed by it. Cf. possessive.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.