Pronunciation: (jī'unt), [key]
1. (in folklore) a being with human form but superhuman size, strength, etc.
2. a person or thing of unusually great size, power, importance, etc.; major figure; legend: a giant in her field; an intellectual giant.
3. (often cap.) Class. Myth.any of the Gigantes.
4. Mining.monitor (def. 12).
5. Astron.See giant star.
1. unusually large, great, or strong; gigantic; huge.
2. greater or more eminent than others.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.