Pronunciation: (giv'u-wā"), [key]
1. an act or instance of giving something away.
2. something that is given away, esp. as a gift or premium: A pocket calculator was offered as a giveaway with every new subscription to the magazine.
3. a radio or television program on which prizes are given away to contestants in a question-and-answer game.
4. a tax law or other legislation designed to benefit one segment of the population, one area or state, etc.: a giveaway that benefited only the very rich.
5. an unscrupulous deal, esp. one that benefits some while defrauding others.
6. Sports.any careless loss of possession of a ball, puck, etc., or other offensive lapse that leads to a score by the opponent.
constituting a giveaway: a giveaway newspaper.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.