Pronunciation: (glā'shul), [key]
1. of or pertaining to glaciers or ice sheets.
2. resulting from or associated with the action of ice or glaciers: glacial terrain.
3. characterized by the presence of ice in extensive masses or glaciers.
4. bitterly cold; icy: a glacial winter wind.
5. happening or moving extremely slowly: The work proceeded at a glacial pace.
6. icily unsympathetic or immovable: a glacial stare; glacial indifference.
7. Chem.of, pertaining to, or tending to develop into icelike crystals: glacial phosphoric acid.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.